Shop Small in Clinton County: Big Wins for Shoppers and the Economy
2 Dec 2022
Shop local, shop small, shop often! Wilmington-Clinton County Chamber of Commerce’s “$25 Days of Christmas” campaign — now in its 14th year — is not only great for shoppers, it’s a substantial economic driver.
The incentive campaign is elegantly simplistic — spend money at local shops, get entered into prize drawings — but organization, orchestration, and business owner participation need to be extensive for it to be impactful. Wilmington-Clinton County Chamber of Commerce has successfully coordinated these factors for over a decade.
Last year, they received a striking 6,675 entries representing a minimum of $166,875 in local shopping. This translates into more than $280,350 in local economic activity when you estimate that 68 percent of dollars spent locally cycle back into Clinton County’s economy. This means wages, local taxes, and donations remain in the community. Additionally, small businesses donate 250 percent more than large businesses to community causes.
While local business shopping generates $68 of economic contribution for every $100 spent, spending the same amount at a non-local business like a national chain only generates $43, Fundera by NerdWallet reported. Zooming out to a national view, over $9.3 billion would be directly returned to our economy if every U.S. family spent just $10 a month at a local business.
How “$25 Days of Christmas” Works
Beginning on Black Friday, November 25th, each time you spend $25 at a participating business, you’ll have a chance to win fantastic gifts or one of ten cash prizes! Participation is easy:
- SHOP at a participating Local First business from Nov. 25th until Dec. 15th.
- SPEND $25 or more (up to four entries per purchase).
- ENTER TO WIN local gifts or one of five $100, three $250, or two $500 cash prizes from Local First.
- Prize drawings take place on December 2nd, December 9th, & December 16th.
A total of $2,500 in cash prizes will be given to loyal local shoppers starting Friday, November 25th. The following generous businesses have donated additional gifts and prizes to be won!
- ALMA’S ATTIC: $50 Gift Certificate
- Art House: Gift basket with Gift Certificate ($100 Value)
- BDK Feed, Hardware and Lumber: $25 Gift Certificate (x4)
- Beaugard’s Southern BBQ: $25.00 Gift Cards (x2)
- Beauty Bar Salon and Spa Co. Gift Basket ($100 Value)
- Cherokee Tutor: $20 Gift certificate
- CMH Gift Shop: Gift Basket ($50 Value)
- Crown Staffing: Blue Tooth Speaker
- Donatos Pizza: $50 Gift Card
- General Denver: $50 Gift Card
- Hairway 2 Heaven: $25 Gift Card
- Kairos Coffee: Gift Basket ($100 Value)
- Kava Haus: Kava Gift Basket
- Kirk House Massage: 1 Hour Table Massage
- Kirkwood Camp & Adventure Park: 4 Season Memberships / 4 shirts / 8 Day Passes
- Laney Cakes Bakery: $25 Gift Card
- Makeshark: Makeshark Swag & More ($75 Value)
- Murphy Theatre: $25.00 Gift Card (x2)
- My Almond Tree Shop & Wonderland Tie-Dye Co: Custom-made Tie-Dye shirt
- News Journal: 13-week subscription
- Papsy’s Place: 4 Frozen Pints & 1 dozen Christmas Cookies
- Porch Swing Engraving Studio: Custom Engraved Charcuterie Board
- Quali-Tee Design Sportswear: $25 Gift Certificate (x4)
- Rome Jewelers: $50 Gift Card
- Sams Meats: 1 Spiral Sliced Ham
- Shoelaces Catering LLC: Cheesecake Gift Certificate
- Strength & Dignity Boutique, LLC: Gift ($100 Value)
- Sugartree Mill Co: Gift ($50 Value)
- The Guest House Spa: $75 Gift Certificate
- The Wooden Moose: Gift ($25 Value)
- Wilmington Ace Hardware: $100 Gift Card
- Wilmington Savings Bank: Gift Basket
- Windy Acres: Gift Basket ($35 Value)
Additional cash prize sponsors include Bargain Bins & More, Bush Auto Place, City of Wilmington, Ohio, Greater Tomorrow Health, Groves Tire & Service LLC, Heart State Realty LLC, Kratzer’s Hometown Pharmacy, Long Rx LLC, Sub District No. 6 Schoolhouse Event Center, Smith-Feike-Minton, Inc., Sunny Collins Massage Therapy, The South Street Gallery, and Uptown Printing.
Think Outside the Gift Box
While there are plenty of gifts to delight that can fit in a box and be tied with a bow, don’t forget about participating service and “experience gift” businesses on the list. For instance, check out Clinton County’s catering options, pick up a spiral ham, or grab a cake to give yourself the gift of more time to spend with guests this holiday season.
And let’s talk about unique experience gifts. Consider wow-ing someone with a theater experience, spa day, or adventure park fun! Research shows that people are happier with experiential purchases over material ones, irrespective of when you measure happiness: before, during, or after consumption. Really, the research supports what we all know to be true: a fun time is the gift that keeps on giving! When gifted an experience, you get the joy of finding out about it, the excitement of anticipation, the fun of the experience, and the satisfaction of lasting memories. Doesn’t that sound perfect?
Shop at the following Clinton County businesses to be entered to win:
- Alma’s Attic
- Art House
- Bargain Bins and More
- BDK Feed, Hardware, and Lumber
- Beauty Bar Salon and Spa Co.
- Bush Auto Place
- Crown Staffing
- Clinton Memorial Hospital Gift Shop
- Donatos Pizza
- Hairway 2 Heaven
- Heart State Realty LLC
- Kairos Coffee LLC
- Kava Haus
- Kirk House Massage
- Kirkwood Camp & Adventure Park
- Kratzer Pharmacy Inc.
- Laney Cakes Bakery
- Long Rx
- Murphy Theatre
- My Almond Tree Shop & Wonderland Tie-Dye Co.
- Papsy’s Place
- Quali-Tee Design Sportswear
- Rome Jewelers
- Sams Meats
- Shoelaces Catering LLC
- Smith-Feike-Minton Inc.
- Strength & Dignity Boutique, LLC
- Sugartree Mill Company
- Sunny Collins Massage Therapy
- The General Denver Hotel
- The Guest House Spa
- The Wooden Moose
- Uptown Printing
- Wilmington Ace Hardware
- Wilmington News Journal
- Wilmington Performing Arts Studio
- Wilmington Savings Bank
- Windy Acres Country Store
Local First, a Wilmington-Clinton County Chamber of Commerce initiative, builds community:
- Our local shops and businesses provide a foundation on which our community is built. Local businesses provide us with the things we need to live, they employ our friends and neighbors, and they serve as our community gathering places.
- Like a neighbor, local businesses know you best. They reflect and embrace the things that make our community unique. By shopping at local businesses, you are empowering business owners who value your needs and interests and serve as stewards of our community.
Clinton County Port Authority is a proud partner of the Wilmington-Clinton County Chamber of Commerce. Clinton County Port Authority is the first stop for businesses looking to expand into Clinton County and local businesses looking to grow. Contact Clinton County Port Authority for more information, and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.